A 4.219 mile road circuit a few kilometres east of Albury on the New South
Wales side of the Murray River used from the 1930s. It consisted of part
of the old Hume Highway, a short section of the Murray Valley Highway,
Orphanage Lane and another local road to link the track together. The track
started at the northern end of the old Sydney Road, and then descended the
edge of St John's Hill to the junction with Riverina Highway. The road then
bore right to the corner of Orphanage Road (the 1938 start/finish line was
It hosted its
first race meeting on 19th March 1938 to celebrate the 150th anniversary
of Albury. The first event was a success, so a second meeting was held in
June 1939. However, six months later World War II was started, and after a
a final meeting held on the 17th June 1940, racing was never resumed.
The fastest lap is held by Alf Barrett (Alfa Romeo Monza 2.3), in a time
of 2:50 (90 mph/144.8 kph).