A town in Illinois, Algonquin featured three separate hillclimbs used from
1906-1912. The first climb was Perry Hill, situated to the north of the town
and used until 1909. Hillclimb events on this hill used a standing start.
The second hill was Philip's Hill, on North Main Street - events here used a flying start. The start was at the Morton House (which became a Shell Petrol Station), and continued past the cemetery on Route 31.
After a disagreement between the Algonquin Hill Climb Association and the Dundee Township, Jayne's Hill was used instead of Perry Hill. Jayne's Hill is now known as Huntington Drive, and was used from 1910 to 1912.
1.8 mile climb.
A 3.5 mile (some sources say 4 mile) hillclimb near Riverside, used at least from 1905-1907. It started 250 ft east of the Gage Canal, and finished 500 ft west of the Santa Fé rail track at the top of the Box Springs Grade. The projected route is shown in red on the map above.
A 3.5 mile hillclimb used on the 30th-31st July 1906. It started at the Willey House, and ran up Crawford Notch towards Bretton Woods.
A 0.5 mile hillclimb in Augusta, Maine. The grade varied between 7.8 and 14.3%. It was used in 1911.
2.1 mile climb.
Carmel Hill, California
A 1.625 mile hillclimb in Del Monte. Between 7 and 10 degrees in gradient, used 1904.
A 0.5 mile hillclimb running from the railway lines up Fifth Avenue to Meadow Avenue, used in 1910. The gradient was around 15%.
Used from 1957-1995, it ran from the base of Chimney Rock Park to the upper parking area. Originally 2.7 miles in length, it was progressively shortened to 1.8 miles.
Used late 1960s/early 1970s.
A 3 mile hillclimb used in 1906. It started on Main Street from Sixth Street to the Ben White ranch in the foothills, on the boundary between the city and the Cleveland National Forest.
Located above Reading, these two hillclimbs use the same course. Duryea uses the full course, Pagoda starts at turn 2 and finishes at turn 9. Duryea is 2.3 miles long, rises through 800 feet, and has been used since 1951. Pagoda is 1 mile long, and rises through 450 feet.
A 0.36 mile climb in Manhattan, New York. It has an average gradient of 11%, running from Dyckman Street to 193rd Street. It was used at least from 1904-1908.
First used in 1906, this 5700 foot (1.08 mile) hillclimb followed the road going up Bear Creek Mountain, near Wilkes Barre, and was used until 1916, climbing through 684 feet. It was re-opened as a 1 mile climb in 1947, and was used until 1969, although it was reopened in 2001. It climbs through 666 feet, with a gradient between 10 and 20.2%, following SR 309 between Georgetown and Oliver Mills. The map above shows the later course.
First used in 1985, it is just over 2 miles long. It has an average gradient of 11%, and climbs through 1160 feet.
A 0.28 mile (1522 foot) hillclimb used on the 19th June 1907 - it climbed through 77 feet. A 0.38 mile version of the climb was used in 1906.
New Braunfels, Texas
A 1397 ft climb which climbed through 155.7 ft new San Antonio. The course had dangerous curves and was bumpy.
A 1800 ft hillclimb which starts outside of the Lions Club on South Main Street, running south. Originally held from 1909-1915, the local fire department resurrected the event for antique cars from 1963-1964, but insufficient manpower and finance meant they couldn't continue it. The Lions Club was rechartered in 1967, and began sponsoring the event as their chief fundraiser. The climb rises through 140 feet
A 0.6 mile hillclimb used on the 26th February 1910. It started at Pleasant Valley Road
(this section is now known as Grand Avenue), and ran up Oakland Avenue to Bonita Avenue.
Okanagan, British Columbia
One hillclimb, but held on four different venues. First held in 1956, the
original venue was Crescent Hill Road in Penticton. In 1957 the hillclimb
moved to The Old Highway in Westbank, where it stayed until 1960 on a 1.8 km
course. In 1962 it moved to Camp Road Hill at Winfield, where it stayed until
1965. All of these venues were in the Okanagan Valley. For 1966 it moved to
First used in 1906, the 1.5 mile hillclimb had gradients between 3 and 14 degrees, and averaged 11.4%. The surface of Santa Rosa Avenue was dirt, which gave little traction, and there was a large drainage ditch to the east of the course, with trees either side. In addition, the Pacific Electric Railway crossed the course at Mariposa Street, and the raised railway caused the cars to take off as they hit it at speed. Given that the cars ran in stock condition, it was quite usual for cars to shed pieces on landing.
For 1906, female passengers were banned, the surface of the road was oiled, and a temporary wooden bridge was built over the rail tracks. The starting point was also moved, with a new road carved into the apricot orchard in line with Santa Rosa Avenue. The course was shortened to 1 mile for 1907, but after very large crowds and the inherent dangers, the last meeting was held in 1909.
Providence, Rhode Island
A 0.4 mile hillclimb at the summer house of C.Prescott Knight in Riverport. Used on the 16th November 1907.
Rochester, New York
A 0.59 mile hillclimb used on the 20th October 1906.
Located in the town of Trout Run, to the north of Williamsport, it was first used in 1967. The course is 1.2 miles long, and rises through 580 feet.
Skippack Hill, Pennsylvania
A 1.19 mile hillclimb with a gradient between 3 and 10 degrees, climbing 352 feet in 6270 feet. The course went from Skippack Creek up to the town of Evansburg, 6 miles northwest of Norristown. It was used on the 27th June 1908, and there are two possible routes: 1) the current US Route 422, or 2) a smaller road which starts at the creek and climbs into Evansburg from the south (the most probable route).
Solomon Hill, Missouri
A 0.6 mile hillclimb in St.Louis, used on the 6th November 1908.
Sport Hill, Connecticut
Located in Easton, near Bridgeport. Used on the 30th May 1908.
Sport Hill, Ohio
A 0.7 mile hillclimb near Cleveland. It was used on the 13th June 1908.
Used in the 1950s-1960s.
Stewart Avenue Hill, Georgia
A 4646 ft hillclimb which started at 100 ft, and climbed through 168.60 ft to 268.60 ft in just
under nine tenths of a mile used from 1907 near Atlanta.
Stucky Hill, Ohio
Hillclimb located in Chardon, 30 miles west of Cleveland. Used on the 15th June 1907.
First used in 2002, it is located near Alta.
Used since 1960. Turn 2 is known as "The Wall", and just after turn 5 is "Jump", where cars typically take off. The course is 1 mile long, and has an elevation change of approximately 340 feet.
Whiteface Mountain, New York
Located in the Adirondacks, this 5 mile paved course held an event in 1964.
Wilbrabham Hill, Massachussetts
Located in Springfield, this 1 mile hillclimb has an average gradient of 8.5%, reaching 22% near the end of the course. It was used on the 11th September 1908.