The Baker Ranch Stadium was built for rodeos on the site in the 1920s, and was purchased by William Bonelli in 1939. He used the existing 1/4 mile dirt oval around the arena floor for car testing, and opened the facility for racing later that year, naming the venue the Bonelli Stadium. He paved the venue in 1946, although it reverted to dirt a year later. The grandstands from Gilmore Stadium were installed in 1951, and the track length reduced to 1/3 mile in 1954. The track was paved again in June 1954, and it stayed in that configuration until the track closed in 1995. The circuit was renamed Saugus Speedway in 1959.