Middle Georgia Raceway
The track first opened in the 1920s as a one mile dirt oval, closing
in 1939 for the duration of the war. It reopened in 1947 as a 1/2 mile
(0.5479 miles to be exact) dirt oval (when it was known as Macon Speedway
and Macon Fairgrounds Speedway). It ran a NASCAR GN race in 1951, and was also known as
Georgia Speedway and Central City Park Speedway. The circuit ran as late as 1988, and
was to be built on in 2007 for housing.
In 1968 government agents raided the track as part of an investigation into illegal
liquor manufacturing - a secret door located in the ticket booth led to a ladder which
went down 35 feet to another hidden door. This door lef to a 150 foot tunnel, which
ended at a cave beneath the infield of the circuit in which was a large moonshine still.
The track was shut down and the owner was sent to jail.