When the 1954 Australian Grand Prix was awarded to Queensland, the local
Government passed legislation allowing racing on open roads, and the 5.7 mile
road circuit of Southport was born. The race was held on the 7th November
1954, and was unusual in that the circuit featured two narrow sections
where overtaking was forbidden. The circuit held two more events: the
Queensland Racing Car Championship (in October 1955) and a motorcycle meeting.