Opened for racing on the 28th March 1959 as a 2.1 mile track on an ex-RAF
bomber station, Rufforth was located on the B1224, 4 miles west of York.
It was used four times that year, but for 1960 a 1.70 mile
circuit was used, the dotted line on the map above showing the shortened
track. It closed in 1977, but the track layout is still there
(as of 2001), although unaccessible to the public.