Originally a 1 mile dirt track for trotting races, Readville was opened
in about 1900 on the west shore of the Neponset River (now Meadow Street
in Hyde Park). The first auto races were held in 1902. Following a fatal
accident in 1936, the AAA ordered that the track be oiled by an "asphalt
emulsion", and racing continued until 1938, when a hurricane severely
damaged the grandstands and washed away part of the track. The track was
used as an emergency landing strip during World War II, and later became the
site of a grocery warehouse.