Old Orchard Beach
Old Orchard Beach, Maine, was actually the site of two tracks. The first, started
on the 4th September 1911, ran on the beach sands itself, and continued through
until 1916. The second track, first used around 1928, was located across the
railway tracks from the beach to the north of the town. The track was egg-shaped,
with an additional loop at the narrow end, so that it looked like a strange
figure 8, but without any crossing of the track. It was operational until
just before World War II.