Oakland Speedway, located on Hesperian Boulevard and 14th Street in San Leandro,
was built in 1931 as a 1 mile dirt oval. It lasted until World War II, during
which in 1941/42 the grandstands burnt down and the track was abandoned. However,
in 1946, a new track called Oakland Stadium was constructed on the same site.
It was a paved 5/8 mile oval with one turn banked at 45 degrees and one at 60
degrees. These angles were at the top of the banking, the angles being less further
down. A 1/4 mile oval was also constructed inside the main oval. The track
was removed in 1955 to make way for the Bay-Fair shopping center.