This circuit was based on a World War II airfield. It was originally 1.5 miles
long when first used after WW2, before being gradually extended to 2.4 miles
during 1951/2. It closed dramatically in 1958, when in November of that year
Belfred James Jones, whose lease of the circuit was about to expire, took
a mechanical digger around the track and dug a trench all the way around it,
rendering it unusable.