The 8th Regiment Armory, in Kingsbridge, the Bronx, featured a hall with an
180,000 square foot interior. In 1946, Jack Kochman leased the building, and
laid out a 1/5 mile oval race track on the concrete floor during the winter
season. It proved to be a success, as all other tracks in the area suffered
from the winter weather. Known as the Kingsbridge Speedrome, racing moved
outdoors in April 1947, and continued through until 1962, hosting midgets
and stock cars.