When the Hume Highway, the main road between Sydney and Melbourne, was
diverted to make way for the Hume Weir which flooded the valley through
which the road passed, an empty quarry was left behind, the stone from
which was used to build the weir. A race track was constructed around the
inside, and partly on the outside, and opened in 1958. Having a length of
1.42 km (0.8 miles), the track survived until 1973. It was lengthened to
1 mile for the 27th December 1959 meeting.