Used by the 500 MRCI, it was used from the late 1940s onwards until Kirkistwon became available in 1953. It was used for some time afterwards, and saw John Crossle win a race in one of his own cars, a first for the marque, on the 15th March 1958.

The airfield was home to the Miles Aircraft Company, who mainly built training aircraft there during WW2, and is still home to the Ulster Flying Club.