The airfield originally opened in 1938 at Couvron-et-Aumencourt, hosting the French Air Force, but after the war the site was expanded and rebuilt for the United State Air Force. The base was finally closed in 2012.
Jonathan Palmer's Motorsport Vision group bought the base in 2015 with the
aim of creating a motorsport complex featuring a 5 mile circuit (with a 1.5 mile
straight) to host track days, testing, corporate events as well as four days of racing per year.