First used for a hill-climb in 1955, Darlington & District Motor Club
organised the event on the grounds of the Catterick Garrison, using the
perimeter track and airstrip. Circuit racing took place from 1958 to
1963 on a 1.6 mile track, but ended on the 1st September 1963 when a Lotus
Seven spun on a corner, passed through a hedge and ended up on the southbound
carriageway of the A1.