Buffalo Civic Stadium
Roesch Stadium was built in 1935 on Best Street and Jefferson Avenue. It was
renamed Buffalo Civic Stadium, and the 1/4 mile cinder track around the
sports field was used in May 1940 for midget racing. It was paved later that
year, and racing continued through until 1959 (it hosted stock cars after
World War II), when the name was changed again to the War Memorial Stadium.
The Buffalo Bills arrived in 1946, but once they joined the NFL the races
were halted. The stadium survived until 1988, when it was demolished and
replaced with a recreation field.