Click here for another map, and here for a road map.
First used in 1931 for motorbike racing, the Bremgarten track was 4.524 miles
long and located in the forests to the north-west of Berne by the River
Wohlensee. Racing continued until 1954, as in 1955 the Swiss government banned
motorsport after the Le Mans accident. This circuit had its own share of
fatalities, both Achille Varzi and Christian Kautz being killed in the 1948
Lap Record: Juan Manuel Fangio (Mercedes-Benz W196), 2m39.7, 101.981mph, 1954.
On the 5th July 1998, the first of the triennial Historic Grand Prix weekends
took place on a recreated Bremgarten track, shown below.