Hillclimbs of Australia, New Zealand and Asia


Australia

Albany, WA

Arthur's Seat, Victoria

First used 1933.

Artillery Hill, NSW

First used 1911, also used 1925.

Bar Beach, NSW

First used 1934.

Bathurst, NSW

First used 1938, and again in 1946.


This is the Mountain Straight Hillclimb at Bathurst, which used part of the race circuit, following it in the same direction. Used since around 2005, around 1700m long.


The Esses Hillclimb, which uses part of the race circuit, following it up the mountain in the opposite direction. Around 750m long.


Bayswater, Victoria

First used 1931.

Belgrave, Victoria


Boisdale, Victoria

Features a 710m gravel surfaced climb and a longer 980m climb. In use 2012, first usage unknown.


Box Hill, Victoria

First used 1948.

Brookvale, NSW

First used 1926.

Broughton's Pass, NSW


Bryant Park, Victoria

Located in Yallourn, it features a 1000m and a 1300m climb. In use 2012, it was first used on the 6th July 2008.


Bulahdelah, NSW

A 1.148 km climb used for a round of the NSW Hillclimb Championship in 2006.


Bunbury, WA

First used 1931.

Cape Schank

First used 1946.


Collingrove, SA

Opened in 1952 near Angaston, on the Eden Valley Road. The track was resurfaced at the end of 1998. It is around 600m long, and steep.


Coogee, NSW

First used 1905.

Drysdale, Victoria

First used 1949.


Eastern Park, VIC

A 900m water front venue in Geelong, first used for a round of the Victorian Hill Climb Championship in 2017.


Fairbairn Park, ACT

925m climb in Majura, Australian Capital Territory. The complex was built in the 1970s, and first used by the Southern District Motorsports Association for a hillclimb in 2000. For the 1988 Australian Hillclimb Championship the orgainisation then controlling the hill, the Canberra Automobile Racing Association (CARA) adopted a longer layout comprising the lead-in and two laps of the short circuit. This layout was 1755m.


Ferney Hills, Queensland

Flinders, Victoria


Foley's Hill, NSW

First used 1945, used until the mid-1950s. The climb started at the Mona Vale Road end of Lane Cove Rd, and finished at the top of the hill at the intersection of Walter Rd. The road was steep, with a big left-hander guarded by a large gum tree in front of the corner.


Forty Bends, NSW

Located near Lithgow, and used circa 1965/66.


Frankston, Victoria

First used 1933.

Glen Ewin, SA

First used in 1948, the course went through a jam factory.

Glen Osmond, SA

First used in 1946.

Glenroy, Victoria

Hartley, NSW

First used 1933.

Hassan's Walls, NSW


Hawkesbury Hill, NSW

Used in 1948 and 1949.


Heidelberg, Victoria

Hurstbridge, Victoria

Used in 1948 and 1949.

Kelmscott, WA

First used in 1948.


King Edward Park, NSW

First used in 1951, located in Newcastle - now 890 yards long. The course was shortened by around 15m in 1974 because faster competitors were having trouble stopping before reaching the boundary of the park. The start line was moved from near the beach to near Bogey Hole in 2001 following a 20 tonne rock falling from the cliff behind the beach onto the start line (the council took two years to remove it), and due to the fence in that section having deteriorated. In 2015, Newcastle council announced plans for the Bathers Way coastal walk project that reconfigured the roads and widened footpaths, and as a result the final hillclimb was held on the 3rd-5th October 2015.


Kurrajong, NSW

First used in 1925, it was also used in 1929, 1931 and 1935.


Lakeland Park Hillclimb, Victoria

Situated on the old Gippsland road just past the corner of Warburton way, outside of Lilydale, to the east of Melbourne. It was first used on the 15th March 1964, again on the 21st June 1964, and on through to 1985. The course was originally owned by Jim Abbott.


Lakeview Hillclimb, NSW


880 yard hillclimb first used in 1962, and used for the NSW Hillclimb Championship from 1963-1965.


Lawnbrook Road, WA

First used in 1925.

Lesmurdie, WA

Used in 1931 and 1934.


Leura, NSW

This hillclimb was used twice, once for a "shakedown" event in late 1950, and the second time for the Commonwealth Jubilee Hillclimb on the 29th January 1951.


Lobethal, South Australia

Used in 1937.

Malpas, Victoria

Memorial Drive, NSW

Located in Newcastle.

Mitcham, Victoria

Mt.Clarence, WA

Used in 1937 and 1939.


Mt.Cooperabung, NSW

A 743m climb on the Yarrabee Road, Kempsey.


Mt.Coot-tha, Queensland

Used twice in 1916 and once in 1918.

In 2009, the Cootha Classic was held on the same mountain. The finish was downhill, and a map of the course is shown below.


Mt.Cotton, Queensland

A 946m climb which is unique in that it uses part of the same track both ways during the same run (see the yellow and red arrows on the first loop).


Mt.Eliza, Victoria

Mt.Helena, WA

Used in 1947.


Mt.Leura, Victoria

An 803m climb used for the Victorian hillclimb championship. Was in use in 2012, unknown first usage.


Mt.Martha, Victoria

Mt.Street, WA

Used in 1919.


Mt.Tarrengower, Victoria

First used in 1932 through to 1939, and from 1947 onwards. Was quoted as being 1500m long in 2012.


Mt.Victoria, NSW

Mt.View, NSW

Muddy Creek, Tasmania

Used in 1949.

Murphy's Creek, Queensland

National Park, NSW

Used in 1919.


Myrniong, Victoria

An 850m sprint course which rises 60m, starting on the level, rising to a slight crest, with an uphill right curve, a left curve, a dip and a rise to the finish.


Newport, NSW

North Manly

One Tree Hill, SA

Used in 1949.


One Tree Hill, Victoria

A 1700m course, in use in 2012. First usage unknown.


Parkerville, WA

Used in 1947.

Prospect, NSW

A grass track course, used in 1929 and 1930.

Punchbowl, Tasmania

Used in 1949.


Raleigh International Raceway, NSW

A 900m kart venue on Valery Road, Raleigh, which is also used for hillclimbs.


Razorback, NSW

Used in 1947 and 1948.

Red Hill, WA

Used in 1922, 1926 and 1928.


Rob Roy, Victoria

First used in 1937, the 695m course was bitumenised in 1939. The area was ravaged by bushfires in 1962, and the track fell into disuse. In 1992 the MG Car Club obtained a 10 year lease, and developed the track into a usable state, repaving the road and adding guard rails - it was reopened in February 1993.


Robertson, NSW

Used in 1932 and 1933.

Sand Pull, WA

Used in 1917.


Silverdale, NSW

Located near the south-western suburbs of Sydney, and was used from circa 1959-mid 1980s (it was used on the 23rd September 1984).


Templestowe, Victoria

It was first used on the 12th March 1951, when it was an unsealed surface running across farmland at the top of Blackburn Road, which featured sections of road as steep as 1:2.5 along its 969 metre length. It was sealed for 1952, and was in use through to December 1987. It was then turned into a walking and cycling path.

Baron's Corner was named after Ern Seeliger, who came second in the 1958 Australian Grand Prix. His nickname was "Baron", and this name was attached to the corner after he crashed at it.


Terrigal, NSW

A grass track course.

Throssel's, WA

Used in 1931.

Toodyay, WA

Used in 1933 and 1947.

Tooronga, Victoria

Tucker's Hill, NSW

Used in 1930, located near Mudgee.

Turner's Hill, WA

Used in 1949.

Victoria Reservoir, WA

Used in 1937.

Waitpinga, SA

Used in 1935.

Waterfall, NSW

Used between 1936 and 1938.

Weewondilla, Queensland

First held by the Warwick District Sporting Car Club on Weewondilla Hill, part of the city streets, in 1964. In 1967 a permanent hill climb venue was opened on the edge of town known as Weewondilla II.

Welshpool Road, WA

Used in 1931.

Wheeler's, Victoria

White's Hill, Queensland

First used in 1947.

Whittaker's Hill, WA

Used between 1930 and 1932.

Whittlesea, WA

Used in 1931.

Wildwood, Victoria

Used in 1913.

Wiseman's Ferry, NSW

Used in 1933, 1934 and 1947.



New Zealand

Admiral Road

Used in 1959, 1963, 1977, 1979-80.

Airlie Road

Used from 1970-74.

Alexandra Road

Used in 1958, 1960, 1967-72.

Anderson Farm

Used in 1970-72, 1973, 1975, and 1978-79.

Aniseed Valley

Used in 1967.

Arahura Valley

Used in 1972.

Aratoa

Used in 1958.

Austins Road

Used from 1962-1965.

Bald Hill

Used in 1967-68, 1970-73, 1977, and 1979-80.

Barrys Bay

A hillclimb which was part of a reliability trial in 1909.

Bethune's Gully, Dunedin

Used 1923, 1925-1927, 1934-1936, 1955-57, and 1963.

Birdwood Road

Used from 1964-65.

Blue Spur Road

Used in 1972.

Boreham Mill

Used in 1964.

Boys Hill

Used in 1954.

Briggs Gully Zig-Zag

Also known as Pareora, it was used in 1950-51.

Bright Road

Used in 1972-75 and 1980.

Bruce's Road

Used in 1980.

Cape Wanbrow

Used in 1950.

Carrington

Used in 1961-64, 1968, and 1970-72.

Central Road

(Northld) - used in 1980.

Chamberlains Road

Used from 1959-1975.

Chittocks Hill

Used in 1954, 1956, 1959-63 and 1966.

Cleland's Zig-Zag

Sometimes also known as Cleland's Cave, it was used in 1951-52, 1954, 1958-59, and 1961-62.

Coal Pit, Oamaru

Used in 1937, 1949, 1950 and 1960.

College Road

Used from 1970-71.

Coronet Peak

Used in 1974-80.

Cosseys Farm

Used in 1971, 1973-1978, and 1980.

Craigmore

Used in 1953-56, 1959-60, 1963-69, 1972 and 1975.

Don Buck's Road

Used in 1951.

Dovedale

Used from 1955-56.

Duvauchelles

Used in 1963, 1965 and 1978.

Emerson Street

Used from 1951-52.

Enfield Coalpit

Used in 1980.

Flagstaff Hill

Used in 1953-54.

Fordell

Used in 1955-57, 1959-60, and 1964.

Forest Hill

Forest Hill (or Gills Road) was used in 1955-59, 1961, 1963, 1966-67, 1976 and 1979-80. Another venue, known as Forest Hill Road, was used in 1973.

Galvins Road

Used in 1980.

Game Farm Road

Used in 1952-53.

Gebbies Pass, Christchurch

Used in 1949-50, 1956, 1959, 1061-65, 1968, 1973, 1975-76 and 1979-80.

Governor's Bay

Used in 1951.

Griffins Road

Used in 1968.

Griffiths Road

Used in 1967. Is this confused with Griffins Road though?

Hackthorne Road, Christchurch

Used in 1910 and 1911.

Halswell, Christchurch

Used between 1947 and 1950.

Harris

Used in 1971.

Hawera

Used in 1956-57, 1959, and 1961-62.

Heads Road

Also known as Maungatautari, it was used from 1968-69, 1972-74 and 1976-77.

Helensville, Auckland

Used on the 26th April 1932, and again in 1933.

Hoanga

Used in 1963 and 1972.

Holden's Hill

Used in 1964 and 1970.

Honikiwi

Used in 1964.

Hooper's Inlet

Used from 1968-69.

Horahora

Used from 1955-65.

Horokiwi Hill Road

Used in 1951. Possibly another, or the same venue was used in 1972-73.

Houghton Bay

Used in 1953-1975, and 1978.

Hukanui Road

Used in 1974.

Hullbright Road

Used in 1965 and 1967.

Hunters Road

Used in 1965, 1967 and 1969-70.

Irirangi

Used in 1973.

Jewetts Road

Used between 1968 and 1970.

Judgeford, Wellington

Used in 1943, 1945, 1951, 1956-59 and 1961-65.

Kahinau Road

Used in 1968.

Kaitangata

Used in 1962-64, 1967, 1969 and 1977.

Kapiti

Used in 1977.

Kara-Kokopu

Used in 1969.

Karehana Bay, Wellington

Used in 1948 and 1949.

Kawakawa

Used in 1968.

Kerikeri

Used in 1969.

Kerns Road

Used from 1965-70.

Kihikihi Road

Used in 1980.

Koururau

Also known as Taum, it was used in 1979.

Kumara

Used in 1968.

Log Whare Road

Used in 1969 and 1977.

Lyttleton

Used from 1959-1964.

Mahakipawa Hill

Used in 1980.

Mangakahu Valley

Used in 1964.

Mangaone Road

Used in 1980.

Mangaroa

Used in 1957-58, and 1961-65.

Mangatarata

Used in 1978-79.

Maramarua

Used in 1954, 1962-71.

Massey

Used in 1966.

Matarawa Valley

Used in 1980.

Mauma

Used in 1962-63.

Maungaitukutuku Road

Used in 1976-77 and 1980.

McCormacks Bay

Used in 1933.

McLachlan Road

Used in 1978.

McLeans Farm

Used in 1980.

McLean's Road

Used in 1968-71 and 1976.

Mercer

A hillclimb on the Koheroa Road was first used in 1963.

Mill Hill

Used in 1970.

Moenui

Used in 1980.

Mokoroa Gorge Road

Used in 1970.

Moncks Spur Road, Christchurch

Used on the 25th January 1932, and also in 1931 and 1934.

Moonshine Road

Used 1958-60 and 1975-76.

Mount Eden, Auckland

Used in 1948, 1949 and 1952.

Mount Ngongotaha

Used 1967-77.

Mount Shellscott, Auckland

Used in 1947.

Mount Tarawera

Used 1960-67.

Mount Wellington

Used 1960.

Muriwai

Used 1953-58.

Murray Range Road

Used 1980.

Ngapapa

Used around 1957.

Ngawhini

Used in 1965.

Ngutuwera

Used in 1965 and 1969.

North Road

Used in 1980.

Norwood Street, Mount Cargill (Dunedin)

Used in 1949, 1962-63, 1965, and 1967-69.

O'Kains Bay, Christchurch

Used in 1912, 1913 and 1923 (when it was part of a reliability trial).

Okoia, Wanganui

Used on the 1st October 1921. Later used 1968-69, 1971-72, 1975 and 1980.

Old Christchurch Road

Used in 1980.

Old Pukerua Road

Used in 1969.

Oparakau

Used in 1971.

Ormandy Road

Also known as Maungakaramea, it was used in 1964-65, and 1968-72.

Oruanui

Used in 1964 and 1966.

Ostrich Farm

Used from 1959-63.

Otaria Road

Used in 1973-74, 1976 and 1980.

Otorohanga

Used in 1961 and 1964.

Paekakariki Hill, Wellington

Used from 1946-1951, and once sometime around 1913.

Palmer Head

Used between 1960 and 1980.

Paparata Road

First used in 1963.

Paparimu Road

First used in 1963.

Paparoa Road

Used in 1970.

Parawera Hill

Also known as Te Awamutu, it was used in 1965.

Paremoremo

Used in 1973.

Patmos Avenue, Dunedin

Used in 1937, and from 1948 onwards through until 1958.

Penny Road

Used in 1974.

Picton

Used in 1970-72.

Pig Valley

Usedin 1956-57, 1959, 1961-68 and 1971-74.

Pipiriki

Used in 1970-71 and 1973.

Pipi Road

Used in 1980.

Plimmerton

Used in 1952-56.

Pollock Road

Used in 1969-70.

Ponga Road

Used in 1966.

Poporangi Road

Used in 1975-76, 1978 and 1980.

Port Hills, Christchurch

Used in November 1905.

Puhipuhi

Used in 1957-59 and 1961-68.

Quarry Road

Used in 1960-61.

Queenstown Road, Auckland

Used on the 26th April 1935, and again in 1936.

Raetihi

Used in 1964 and 1971.

Rakaia Gorge

Used in 1961 and 1980.

Rallywoods

Used in 1974-79.

Ramarama

There were three separate venues used. The first, Peach Hill Road, was used in 1958. The second, Ararimu Road, was used in 1965. The third, Pratts Road, was used from 1990-1992.

Redwood Pass

Used in 1961-62, 1964-65, 1968-69, 1974-75 and 1977.

Reefton

Used in 1977.

Ridge Road

Used in 1951, 1954, 1973, and 1975-78.

Riverhead, Auckland

Used from 1948 to 1952.

Rosedale

Used in 1973-76, and 1980.

Rotoehu Forest

Used in 1980.

Ruakaka

Used in 1971.

Saddle Road, Palmerston North

Used from 1947. Last used in 1976?

Salisbury Road

Used in 1979-80.

Sawyers Bay

Used in 1970 and 1973.

Seafield Road, Napier

Used from 1948-52, 1954-55 and 1979-80.

Signal Hill, Dunedin

Used on the 22nd November 1913.

Sign of the Kiwi

Used in 1952 and 1968.

Soldiers Settlement

Used in 1975-78 and 1980.

Spring Creek Road

Used in 1970 and 1980.

Staveley Limeworks

Used in 1963-65, 1968 and 1972.

Stoney Creek

Used in 1980.

Strawberry Road

Used in 1980.

Summit Road, Christchurch

Used in 1948-50, 1952, 1954-55, 1960 and 1966.

Taihape

Used in 1972 and 1980.

Tarawera, Rotorua

Used in 1949-50.

Taumuranui

Used in 1955-57, 1959, 1968-70, 1972, 1976 and 1978.

Taupo

Used in 1967-69.

Tauranga

Used in 1968 and 1970.

Tawa Flat, Wellington

Used in 1949-50.

Taylorville

Used in 1972.

Tea Creek

Used in 1979-80.

Telement Road

Used in 1980.

Te Onepu

Used in 1956-69, and 1972-97.

Te Toro

Used in 1968.

Thames

Used in 1973-75.

Three Mile Hill

Used in 1951.

Tinui Valley Road

Used in 1972-73.

Tirimoana Road

Used in 1971, 1974-75 and 1977.

Tokoroa

Used in 1975-77.

Top Valley

Used in 1980.

Twizel

Used in 1975.

Urenui

Used in 1962-64, 1970, 1972-76 and 1978.

Valley Road

Used in 1906.

Waiau

Used in 1955-59.

Waihi

Used in 1968, 1976 and 1980.

Waiotapu

Used in 1980.

Waipu

Used in 1967, 1970-71.

Waipu Gorge

Used in 1957-59, 1962 and 1963. Is this the same as Waipu?

Wairamarama

Used in 1952-56 and 1958.

Wairekiki, Wyndham

Used in 1949-53.

Wairoa

Used in 1970.

Waitangarua

Used in 1977.

Waitetuna

Used in 1951.

Waititi, Dunedin

Used on the 7th December 1907. Then used in 1908, 1959-60, 1964 and 1970.

Waitomo

Used in 1965 and 1970.

Wallace Road

Used in 1975.

Wallaceville Road

Used in 1952-56, 1960-64 and 1971.

Waterfall Road

Used in 1975.

West Road Hill

Used in 1978-79.

Whakapapa

Used in 1957.

Whakatane

Used in 1967-69, 1971-72.

Wharepapa Road

Used in 1966.

Whitford, Auckland

Used in 1948 and 1950.

Woodlands Road

Used in 1965.

Wright's Hill

Used in 1961-62.