First used for circuit racing on the 25th October 1953, having been used earlier
that year for sprinting - an L shaped circuit on the runways of just over 1 mile was
used. The track was later extended, and from 1978-1983 it held the Madras Grand
Prix on a T shaped clockwise circuit. It was used through until the late 1980s.