Located 12 miles north of Altoona at Tipton, Altoona Speedway as a 1.25 mile
wood oval with 32 degree banked corners built by Jack Prince and Art Pillsbury.
It was operational between the 4th September 1923 and the 7th September
1931, but was destroyed in a fire on the 19th May 1936. Howard Wilcox, Joe
Boyer and Ray Keech were all killed at the track.
In 1935, a 1.125 oiled dirt oval was built on the site, which hosted seven
races over the next five years. After World War II, a 1/4 mile track
was built in the infield, and this was active until 1952. It has since been
covered by industrial buildings.