Albert Park


[track map]
5.269 kilometre race track run in a clockwise direction, opened for the Australian GP on March 10th 1996.

The original Albert Park circuit (shown below) was a 3.124 mile (5.019 km) circuit first used for the 1953 Australian GP, held on November 21st and won by Doug Whiteford in a 4.5 litre Lago Talbot. Racing was held through until the end of 1958, when local anti-racing campaigners and local elections conspired together. The circuit remained closed until the new F1 circuit was constructed, although it still faces large anti-racing campaigns.